Florida Department Of Health in Marion County
1801 SE 32nd Avenue
Ocala, FL 34471-5532
Generators are helpful when the power goes out. Space heaters can quickly warm a room. But they produce carbon monoxide and can be deadly if they are not used correctly.
Here are some precautions to help prevent carbon monoxide poisoning:
- Install a carbon monoxide alarm in your home if you have combustion appliances or an attached garage.
- Be sure all appliances are properly installed and used according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Have fireplace and combustion heating and ventilation systems, including chimneys, flues, and vents, professionally inspected every year.
- Don’t burn charcoal inside a house, garage, vehicle, tent or fireplace.
- Don’t use unvented combustion heaters in enclosed spaces, especially sleeping areas.
- Never leave an automobile running in a closed garage or in a garage attached to the house—even with the garage door open.
- While driving, keep the rear window or tailgate of a vehicle closed, as carbon monoxide from the exhaust can be pulled inside.
For more information visit the Department’s Carbon Monoxide page.