What is BRAZEN?
BRAZEN is the Sexual Risk Avoidance program in the Health Education branch of the Florida Department of Health in Marion County. This positive youth development program educates various audiences (primarily ages 11-18) in Marion County on healthy decision making.
Our goal is to build awareness, character and self-confidence in the youths of Marion County.
We are utilizing REAL Essentials, the state-approved curriculum for sexual risk avoidance programs. BRAZEN is an opt-in program requiring parental consent. If you have any questions about the REAL Essentials curriculum, please contact Quameshia Townsend at 352-644-2687.
Who does BRAZEN present to?
- Middle School
- High School
- Faith-based organizations
- Youth-focused community organizations
- Underserved Youth
- Adult and Parent Groups
Depending on the needs of the group, a presentation can be from one hour to eight hours in length.
Topics Covered in presentations:
- Goals and dreams—Students are encouraged to think about them, plan ahead of time, and consider how certain decisions can positively or negatively affect each one.
- Internet Safety
- Debunking local myths
- Decision making—We discuss how to deal with pressures, sexting, drinking, drugs, violence, etc.
- Sexual Health—We discuss sexually transmitted diseases because some of the highest rates in Marion County are among 15 to 24 year olds.
- Healthy vs. unhealthy relationships—We teach how to recognize signs and symptoms of dangerous relationships.